RECIPE - Steamed Macaroni and Cheese with Maple Butternut Squash
Posted by: Maple Roch -
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 30 ml butter
- 60 ml maple syrup
- 240 ml hot milk
- 454 g macaroni noodles
- 240 ml cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 ml paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 240 ml mozzarella cheese, grated
- In a casserole, sauté onions and the squash cubes in butter over medium heat.
- Pour in maple syrup and stir for 1 minute before adding milk. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Cook macaroni in a casserole dish in salted boiling water for a few minutes to al dente. Drain and put it back in the casserole dish.
- Using a blender, blend the butternut and onion mixture to a smooth sauce. Pour over the macaroni.
- Add cheddar and paprika, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well and transfer into a buttered pan.
- Sprinkle over with mozzarella and bake for a few minutes to gently brown the top.